Friday, April 16, 2010

The Nerd

I am forced to confront the reality that I am, in fact, a nerd; a tag I have rejected simply because of the stereotype that depicts social ineptitude. I am not socially inept. I have a lot of friends, am friendly and generally approachable. However, people still persist in tagging me a nerd. And my question is this, if I was a nerd, would I be friends with you? ... Touche.
But, but as the old Spanish saying goes: If someone calls you a donkey, laugh at him. If ten people call you a donkey, buy a saddle. I think the same applies to being called a nerd, and so the first step to "buying a saddle" was to find out what it meant to be a nerd. According to Wiki,
Nerd is a term, often bearing a derogatory connotation or stereotype, that refers to a person who passionately pursues intellectual activities, esoteric knowledge, or other obscure interests that are age-inappropriate, rather than engaging in more social or popular activities. Therefore, a nerd is often excluded from physical activity and considered a loner by peers, or will tend to associate with like-minded people.
For one, my interests are not age-inappropriate, and never have been. I dare anyone to challenge me! And secondly, I engage in social activities that correspond to my tastes, notable among which is generally chilling with friends. I used to be a loner but not anymore and as any of my friends can attest, I am relatively eccentric compared to them so there goes associating with like-minded people!
The urban dictionary describes a nerd as
One whose IQ exceeds his weight.
I wish! On second thought...OMG! I am a nerd...lol
An individual persecuted for his superior skills or intellect, most often by people who fear and envy him.
Yes, I do admit to superior skills and intellect... I mean with an IQ of 140 and counting, superb powers of perception, an amazing memory and the ability to see through walls:) ... but I share, don't I? What's to fear and envy?
A stereotypical label used to describe a person that is socially inadequate. A four letter word, but a six figure income a la Bill Gates.
It's getting better and better....but, but I am not socially inadequate.
A person who gains pleasure from amassing large quantities of knowledge about subjects often too detailed or complicated for most other people to be bothered with.
Often mistaken for Geeks, who aspire to become nerds, yet lack the intelligence, and end up giving nerds a bad name due to their poor social skills.
Non-nerds are often scared of nerds, due to their detailed knowledge, and therefore seemingly high levels of intelligence - and subsequently denegrate them as much as possible as often as possible.
Nerds exist covertly within the fabric of society, often choosing to 'nerd it up' in private or in the company of fellow nerds. It is for this reason they are feared the most - unlike geeks, who are easily identified, nerds can only be found out when casual conversation reaches a subject that they like nerding.
Geek: "I am a nerd"
Nerd: "Let's bash this nerd"

Nerd: "That'll teach you to go playing with my tesla coil"
lol...lol..lol
I'm starting to revise my perception of nerds. I don't mind one bit. Seems everyone was right after all, and it was the best backhand compliment ever. So I am eccentric and I am a nerd...and I wear both labels proudly....:P :)

No comments:

Post a Comment